Hi everyone! This week I wanted to try something a little more challenging but I’m going to need a bit of help completing it. Below I have attached a text file containing the goals scored during the World Cup. The data is formatted as;
Time represents the minute in the game the goal was scored.
With this data we can produce a lot of different statistics for example;
- Total number of goals scored by a given country
- Total number of goals scored by a given player
- List the name of all the players who scored for a given country
- Total number of goals by all countries
- Total number of goals scored during the first half (45 minutes)
- Total number of goals scored during the second half (45 minutes to 90 minutes)
- Total number of goals scored during extra time (after 90 minutes of play)
For now I just want to focus on the first bullet point.
First I thought it would be ideal to transform the data to table format, then simply count the rows of the country selected;
q)count select from data where country=`Spain
I also wanted to loop through the text file and print (player + “ from “ + country + “ scored a goal at the “ + minute + “ th minute”) for each player. Which seemed easy at first but really had difficulty.
I reckoned a function was most definitely needed but couldn’t wrap my head around how to loop not only through the 3 items but then onto the rest of the list.
Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated !!