cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are coding skills just as vital as foreign language skills?

DBaker
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

This week I caught up with KX Chief Marketing Officer, Kathy Schneider and together we spoke to FE news about the digital skills challenges and how it affects the UK economy. 

In our independent research, we found that 41% of students aged 16-23, can either write, or are planning to learn, at least one coding language in the future. 

Despite the growing importance and rising popularity of coding, 43% of students say a barrier to their learning is the curriculums in schools, highlighting the need for a greater focus within the education system.

A strong digital ecosystems could add another £41.5bn to the economy by 2025 and support 678,000 new jobs, therefore, it’s clear that supporting data skills and coding throughout education should be a key priority.

I would be keen to get the communities thoughts on this topic, what prompted you to learn how to code, what barriers did you face, and what advice would you give new learners?

Head of Evangelism - KX
3 REPLIES 3

LeahS
Moderator Moderator

Super study by KX! Very interesting. 

Looking forward to hearing people's coding stories. 

SJT
Contributor III
Contributor III

My maths teacher taught me and another pupil Fortran. I suppose we should have been coding algorithms and double-precision arithmetic. But Dave worked on a program to play tic-tac-toe (noughts and crosses) and I ran a program to learn its way through a maze, based on an article my teacher read in Scientific American. These days we would call it a neural net. 

The iron was very different then, and security non-existent. We typed our programs onto punch cards. And one afternoon Dave’s program shut down two nuclear reactors and evacuated the atomic research establishment at Winfrith Newburgh. (I don’t think he ever did get the program to stop cheating.) 

DBaker
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

My first attempts at coding was via the magazine input, some 38 years ago...
Every  snippet had a typo, but that's what made it fun! 

input.jpg

Head of Evangelism - KX