cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dashboard differences in edit mode

soldham
New Contributor II

Hi All,

I'd like to get to the bottom of an issue that I'm having with dashboards and I feel like I've been bothering Ryan Wasson too much and keeping too much of his really great guidance to myself, so I'm putting my question out here this time.

Every now and then I find that changes that I make to a dashboard in edit mode don't appear when I leave edit mode even though I'm quite sure I've saved them. I have a dashboard currently that is showing that behavior.  Here's a snap of the dashboard in edit mode

soldham_0-1656079507467.png

and here it is out of edit mode

soldham_1-1656079713146.png

Notice that the formatting of the datetime fields is different between the two, as is the ordering of the columns, and the presence/absence of the 'hpup' column. In the past I have found that clearing browser history and other artifacts helped but I'd like to get a better solution than that. I have found the same behavior in Edge and Firefox. We are running KxDashboards 1.5.4.

Any help in getting this worked out would be most appreciated.

 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

soldham
New Contributor II

I think I got it worked out. For reasons not clear to me, the dashboard file ended up with a ".settings" node that seemed to include the misconfiguration that I've been trying to get rid of. The contents of that node in the dashboard file matched what I was seeing in the local storage in the browser developer tools window. I deleted the node from the file in a text editor and the problem went away. I don't understand how those settings got baked into the dashboard file or why they only applied in non-edit mode or why I wasn't able to correct them using the dashboard editor but I'm glad to have this resolved. If any other dashboard users have a similar experience maybe this thread will be of use to them. In case the KX developers care to investigate this further, I am including the notebook file with the errant ".settings" node here

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

davidcrossey
Moderator Moderator
Moderator

Hi soldham,

In non-edit mode, did you happen to press the save button?

You may have saved a view state of the dashboard and this may be why you continue to see the old styling after editing the dashboard in edit mode.

To pick up the new changes, you need to reset the viewstate in non-edit mode by pressing the "Reset View State" icon:

davidcrossey_0-1656287229806.png

If you are a KX Control user, you can also remove view states by deleting via the Control UI. The files have the naming convention of [guid-username], e.g.

davidcrossey_1-1656287316332.png

Hope this helps

David

Hi David,

Thanks for the suggestion about resetting the view state in no-edit mode. I did that but the difference between the two modes persists.  Unfortunately, I am not a KX Control user so I don't think your second suggestion will help in this case. Any other ideas?

Check out the documentation here. There is a note just under the link above stating:

"User configuration is saved on exiting the dashboard and will be available on next login."

Are you dragging your columns to re-order on the data grid, or using the 'Configuration' button? (top right in your screenshots)

I would suggest trying the 'Configuration' option, exiting the dashboard and re-logging in to see if that resolves your issue.

Hope this helps

David

Hi David. Thanks for sticking with me on this. I usually manage the order and visibility of datagrid columns in the 'Columns' section of the datagrid control panel in edit mode but I did as you suggested, using Configuration, and it seemed to fix my problem until I reloaded the page, at which time the undesirable ordering re-appeared.  I have found that the undesirable ordering is encoded in a piece of browser local storage which you can see here. 

 

soldham_0-1656425762399.png

In edit mode the local storage is empty so I suspect that the difference comes down to this. I have tried using 'Reset View State' in non-edit mode, and I have tried deleting the local storage in developer tools but it always comes back.

 

Just to double check, after making the changes did you log in and back in?

As a failback you could try clearing your browser cache/cookies, or use incognitio mode.

David

soldham
New Contributor II

I think I got it worked out. For reasons not clear to me, the dashboard file ended up with a ".settings" node that seemed to include the misconfiguration that I've been trying to get rid of. The contents of that node in the dashboard file matched what I was seeing in the local storage in the browser developer tools window. I deleted the node from the file in a text editor and the problem went away. I don't understand how those settings got baked into the dashboard file or why they only applied in non-edit mode or why I wasn't able to correct them using the dashboard editor but I'm glad to have this resolved. If any other dashboard users have a similar experience maybe this thread will be of use to them. In case the KX developers care to investigate this further, I am including the notebook file with the errant ".settings" node here