KX Community

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our KX Community around the world.

Home Forums kdb+ BI or KDB+?

• BI or KDB+?

Posted by annach on October 2, 2022 at 12:00 am

Hello everyone,

We are a data centric startup that collects information over various channels on the web, and we aim to help buisnesses to use that info to their advantage in various ways.

We are new to the KDB+ world and it sounds potentially relevant to us.

However, it’s not completely clear whether we should opt for a classic BI solution or use KDB+ for it’s superior performance?
    Or do we really have to use both BI AND kdb like some posts indicate here, kdb+ being used with Power BI etc.

Seems like kdb+ covers a large part of BI functions, even though might not be done visually – for example, data aggregation, cleansing, transformation, fusion, joining needs to eb done in q, as opposed to visually.

Also, seems that the kdb dashbards allow interactive visualaization tools so that this part also makes BI sort of redundant(?).

So what are the actual pros and cons when trying to choose between BI vs KDB+?

What are the advantages vs disadvantages of a tool like power BI, Tableu or Chartio (“RIP, that allowed reddit to do real-time analysis and action taking) when compared to kdb+?

Thank you for responding!

Anna

annach replied 2 weeks, 2 days ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • leahs

October 2, 2022 at 12:00 am

Hello Anna,

Firstly, I’m delighted to welcome you to the KX Community.

It’s great to hear of your start-up and your interest in a kdb+ solution. When new to the world of kdb+, useful resources as a starting point can be found here: Code KX – An introduction to kdb+ and Code KX – Architecture of a kdb+ system

I welcome engagement from fellow kdb+ Engineers and feedback from our community contributors to discuss the specific comparative questions posed above.

Kind regards, 

Leah

• eoin

October 3, 2022 at 12:00 am

Hi Anna,

Thanks for reaching out to the KX Community.

Kdb+ is a high-performance in-memory compute engine, handling streaming and historical data. We have a guided introduction to kdb+ for analysts showing how analytics can be executed against a test database, building up a basic BI use case. The guide includes all the steps you need to get started, including installing a trial version of kdb+.

Building on this, KX Insights Platform is a rapidly deployable streaming analytics platform which can ingest, cleanse and analyze large volumes of time-series data. Data pipelines can be configured visually to read from a variety of streaming and static data sources, perform custom analytics and write to our high-performance time-series database.

The results of your analytics can be rapidly visualized within KX Insights using our interactive report builder, as well as being exposed to BI tools such as PowerBI and Tableau. We support ANSI standard SQL, which makes the integration quite straightforward. This integration is typically used by our clients who already have some BI reporting layers in place.

Using KX Insights in addition to BI tooling brings significant advantages, since the heavy lifting of searching, analyzing and aggregating your data can be done in a highly optimized manner before the results are relayed to the BI application. KX Insights is horizontally and vertically scalable, so increasing volumes of data can be parsed without overloading the BI tool.

We would be happy to arrange a call to discuss your needs further.

Regards

Eoin

• annach

October 3, 2022 at 12:00 am

Thank you Leah!

I hope my message is clear, or that it is a “correct” quesion – as I have not found an answer to it so far.

• annach

October 9, 2022 at 12:00 am

Thank you for the detailed response!

I think that answers our question for now

Best regards